COURSE OUTLINE 2020
The nine session program covers the following topics and an opportunity to advance after each session. Each session is lead by a Certified U.S Sailing Instructor from the yacht club. Courses include boat rigging, emergencies, working wind, docking, regatta and daily racing. Skills development include beginner, intermediate and advanced. Students are involved in interactive classroom instruction with whiteboard, knot tying sessions and supervised sailing on the lake. All students receive certificates of completion.
U.S. Sailing Instruction
Jake Stephens, Head and Certified Instructor
Associate Instructors Available
9 Academy Summer Sessions
Each session is 5 days Mon – Fri
The students are divided into groups according to age and skill level.
- Session 1 Jun 15 – Jun 19
- Session 2 Jun 22 – Jun 26
- Session 3 Jun 29 – Jul 3 *
- Session 4 Jul 6 – Jul 10
- Session 5 Jul 13 – Jul 17
- Session 6 Jul 20 – Jul 24
- Session 7 Jul 27 – Jul 31
- Session 8 Aug 3 – Aug 7
- Session 9 Aug 10 - Aug 14
*Includes entry into July 4 “Around the Island Race” All Instruction will begin at 12 pm and complete at 5 pm.
- All Students/Sailors must have basic swimming skills, supply and wear a life jacket and bring their lunch.
- Each sailor will be assigned a personal sailboat for which they are responsible.
- Graduation ceremonies will commence on Fridays each Academy week.
- A BBQ will follow each graduation. Parents, sailors and visitors are invited to this wonderful event.
Classes are held at Westlake Yacht Club, 32129 Lindero Canyon Rd., Westlake Village.